Recently, there’s been a lot of buzz about using UV light for HVAC systems. Does it really live up to the hype? Here at WeatherWise Heating & Cooling in Crystal Lake, IL, we’ve experienced firsthand how beneficial UV lights can be. If you’re concerned about indoor air quality and your family’s health, it’s time to give UV lighting careful consideration. Used as a sterilizing agent for hundreds of years, UV light is an effective way to disinfect air and reduce the spread of germs.
Let’s explore the benefits of HVAC UV lighting more in detail:
UV Light Kills Bacteria, Viruses and Germs
Your HVAC system can be a blessing or a curse when it comes to infection control. For instance, if there’s mold or bacteria present in the system, air circulation can quickly spread it throughout the home. Studies by ASHRAE (The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers) show the transmission of infectious airborne diseases like influenza and the common cold can be accelerated or controlled by a building’s HVAC equipment.
HVAC UV light disinfects the air by reducing and preventing microorganisms from circulating in the ductwork. Reduced microorganisms mean less transferred illnesses. UV lights focus on the coils in your HVAC unit, preventing the growth of fungi, mold, bacteria and pollutants like dust and soot. Without the UV light, these coils can become built up with contaminants. It’s easy to see why HVAC UV lights are adopted in hospitals and healthcare facilities.
HVAC UV Light Controls Mold and Other Allergens
In the same way UV light kills bacteria and viruses, it also eliminates allergens. If you suffer from allergies or asthma, you know just how important a home with clean, allergen-free air can be. With the right UV light in the right place, dust, mold and mildew can be eliminated. Say goodbye to HVAC fungal contamination. The cleaner the air, the less allergy-related symptoms like coughing, wheezing and sneezing.
HVAC UV Light Reduces Smells and Odors
No one likes a stinky home or workplace, but there may be something more dangerous lurking beneath an unpleasant odor. Some airborne contaminants are hazardous, containing over two to five times more contaminants than outdoor air.
VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) are odor causing chemicals like those from tobacco products, perfume, hair spray, paint, glue and cleaning supplies. According to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency,) VOCs contribute to health problems like headaches, nausea and sinus irritation. Using a UV light in your HVAC system is a simple way to remove VOCs and clean your air.
Additional Benefits of HVAC UV Lights
- Reduces energy consumption
- Lowers monthly expenses
- Improves airflow and efficiency
- Reduces maintenance requirements
- Cleaner HVAC system